Re-Volt in Windows 7
It’s been a while since I’ve played a new game, which led to the intent to play an old one… I somehow managed to bump into Re-Volt, which I had forgotten I even had, and that is a shame.
Re-Volt is a great game which I loved when I was younger (it was published in 1999), and I used to cheat all the time 😀 Not that this is of any importance… What is of importance, however, is how to run this game if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7.
I eagerly installed the game on my Windows 7, and was quite disappointed when I discovered it didn’t work. I was able to run the game, and configure everything, but I couldn’t start any race – the game would just display a Can’t flip display buffers error over and over. Luckily, the good people of the Internet had already found the solution, so here it is (thanks to MassiZ from MSFN Forums):
- First of all (after installing the game), download the following patch: 1.207
- Copy the contents of the downloaded archive into your Re-Volt folder
- Create a shortcut to Re-Volt on your desktop
- Alter the shortcut’s properties by inserting “-sli” into the Destination text box, without the quotation marks (it should look something like “C:\Path to Re-Volt\revolt.exe” -sli)
- Go to the Compatibility tab and select Windows 98, as well as Run as administrator
- Finally, simply enjoy the game, it’s a great one